Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recreation Day: My attempt at poetry – Heaven help us all!

(Every once in a while, when I don't really feel like being smart, or approximately witty, I will have a "Recreation Day" post. This is basically a day off from all that "hard thinking," and a time to sit back and enjoy the random simplicity of life)


 

Okay, I'm obviously not the sort of person who is going to admit his utter lack of talent, so I decided I would try out poetry

Now I don't necessarily have an INTEREST in poetry, per se (though I do have a sincere appreciation for the art), but I was just…well, let me try to explain:


 

I was studying for the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP test one fine day (more specifically looking at the glossary so I would at least know a few terms), and I came across a fascinating term:

CINQUAIN

Now a cinquain is a certain breed of poetry wherein there are five lines of 2, 4, 6, 8, and 2 syllables respectively (if my memory serves me correctly).


 

Well…if you are like me, then what you just read about the details of a cinquain should make NO SENSE WHATSOEVER! Goodness, I had no clue what that was supposed to mean!


 

Five lines of WHAT respectively?!?!?!


 

So, I decided I would try it out for myself. I actually created a cinquain poem!


 

I was so proud of myself, that I even gave it an epic title!

Would you like to see it?

PROMISE YOU WON'T LAUGH???


 

Okay here it is:


 

Blindness Afflicted
Upon Ourselves
,

by Jared Hooper


 

I wish

That you could see.

But no, you never will;

Because you never want to see

The truth.


 


 


 

I know…I know…Moved you, didn't it? This is what happens when you let a fool have too much time on his hands!


 

I think that, after this ruination of your eyes by my butchery of the poetic arts, I should make it up to you


 

Therefore, the next few posts will be a SERIES.

what will this series be about????


 

YOU WILL NEVER GUESS! Not in a MILLION YEARS!


 

You never saw this coming! Stay tuned!!!


 

(El Pensador, over and out!)

3 comments:

  1. Bro, I'm sorry, I read, "please don't laugh," and started laughing.... I'm sorry! I'm sorry!!! *snickering*
    And yes, I actually do know a great deal about the art of poetry, which you seem to have a (tolerable) nack at.
    Cinquain is more of a visual art using the medium of poetry to arrange words to make shapes (it's the general idea any way). There are so many amazing pieces put together in different shapes, which really adds to the impact of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you weren't offended by my obvious lack of talent! Poetry is not my strong point, I must confess...But at least I can say I was not ashamed to try.

    ...I'm glad you were moved. ;)

    ReplyDelete