Friday, May 18, 2012

My Thoughts on Entrepreneurship


Do you want to build a business empire? Or do you just want to start your own business and let your creative juices flow?

If so, then GOOD for you! Entrepreneurs are what make America awesome. So what if people think that big businesses are evil (and from the Devil himself)? So what if people think you’re just a capitalist pig? Follow your dream, and make your country proud!

Is there anything WRONG with capitalism? Can there be problems with “Big Business?” Sure, if they get too big for their britches. Capitalism follows the pattern of “rational self-interest,” so it has to be tempered with reason and responsibility. That’s probably the biggest problem with capitalism: people just don’t know how to be rational sometimes.

And what IS rational? It’s rather subjective, don’t you think?
Here’s the deal…you have to be careful not to let your self-interest get the best of you. How do you do that? STOP FOCUSING ON YOURSELF! :)

 Try to see ways you can improve the world around you: your employees, your work area, your customers, etc. Try to develop a responsible, principled mindset. 

Here’s the main point: don’t let your self interest get in the way of your success! Sure, you need to make money, and sure you need to establish a profitable business…but don’t do it at the risk of losing your reputation.

Ask yourself these questions:
“What would I want my employees, my customers, my partners, and the public to say about me and my business at my funeral? Did I add value to their lives? Did I satisfy a need in their lives? Did I improve myself along with my business? What legacy did I leave behind?”

Now you can decide how you want those questions to be answered, and you can implement a plan to give your business (and yourself) a lasting legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment